B Schools in Pune
Similar to Delhi and Mumbai, Pune is also a major hub of management education. The B-Schools in Pune under the Symbiosis International University (SIU) like Symbiosis Institute of Business Management (SIBM), Symbiosis Institute of Management Studies (SIMS), Symbiosis Institute of International Business (SIIB) are synonymous with MBA in Pune. SIBM, SIMS, SIIB were established by the Symbiosis Group. SIMS is a constituent of the Symbiosis International University (SIU) and which is accredited ‘A’ by the National Assessment and Accreditation Council (of the UGC) in November 2008. SIMS is considered among one of the top B Schools in Pune. It is one of the most looked out option for the students to study MBA in Pune.
Apart from the MBA institutes under the Symbiosis International University, there are many other B Schools in Pune. Some such institutes are Balaji Institute of Modern Management, Balaji Institute of Telecom Management, ICFAI Business School, Centre for Management Research & Development, Singhad Business Schools, Singhad Institute of Management, Institute of Management & Research, Indira Institute of Management, Institute of Business Management & Research, International School of Corporate Management, Indian Institute of Management Training, International School of Business & Media, Flame School of Business, to name a few.
Let us have a look at the leading B-Schools in Pune offering options for various programs of MBA:
- · ICFAI Business School
- Centre for Management Research & Development. This institute is one of the many B Schools in Pune that has been affiliated by Pune University, recognized by the Government of Maharashtra and approved by AICTE.
- Singhad Institute of Management - This B-School in Pune is under Singhad Technical Education Society. The institute is one of the many best options for MBA in Pune.
- Indira Institute of Management - This B-School in Pune follows its vision of creating academic excellence in the field of Management and IT Education with the purpose of fulfilling the industry requirements.
- FLAME - FLAME School of Business, popularly known as FLAME, is another option for MBA in Pune. The AICTE approved PGDM program offered by this B-School in Pune covers all areas in management sciences such as marketing, finance, organizational behaviour, business policy, production and quantitative methods, and information technology.
- ISB&M - This B-School in Pune has a strong alumni base spread all over the country as well as in different parts of the world. ISB&M offers PGDM in Marketing, Finance and Insurance & Risk Management. All the programs are recognized by AICTE.
From data point of view, there are about 390 Institutes in Pune that provide Management education in some form or fashion. Of these, about 165 are located in Pune city, and others are dispersed in smaller areas around the city. Almost all these Institutes are Un-aided (only 3 Institutes are University Departments), Non-Minority based and Non-autonomous. Only about 13 of them are based on Linguistic Minority like Hindi or Religious Minority like Muslims. About 134 Institutes are affiliated to the “Pune University” and 35 of them to the neighbouring “Shivaji-Solapur University”. The total intake of students in these Institutes (located in Pune city) is approximately 15000, which is easily 40-45% of the total state intake.
Downsides: For a couple of years now, the excitement to pursue an MBA in Pune has come down a little because of some reasons:
1. What was an advantage earlier has become a disadvantage now. With the cost of real estate shooting up, and the huge influx of people having taken a toll on the infrastructure of the city, people from other states are now rethinking before landing here.
2. There has been a steep rise in the number of MBA Institutions in Delhi and NCR region, and coupled with ample employment opportunities there itself, it leaves people with lesser incline to make a move to Pune.
3. If we look at the Top 50 MBA Institutes in the country (on any website, journal or other source), we realize that other than a couple of Symbiosis Institutes, none of the other Institutes from Pune make it to the list of Premier B-schools in the country.
4. Also, the average salaries of the Pune University pass outs are somewhere Rs 180,945 - Rs 1,356,908; while that of Mumbai is Rs 258,420 - Rs 2,116,771 and Delhi: Rs 177,758 - Rs 1,998,757.
However, one cannot undermine the immense education and employment opportunities in this city, which continues to house thousands of students from across the country.