Australian Universities are widely known for the good quality of their teaching and research. Australia is a place where ones quality of education and learning is guaranteed. Australia is becoming a popular location, gaining much more popularity to be a study abroad place to go for Indian students. , the Aussie courses and certifications are usually globally identified. This country is less expensive when compared with various preferred study locations. Australia has blossomed as a globally recognized destination for studies.
The education system in Australia offers first class opportunities for International college students looking for world-class educational and individual experience. It provides qualitative education which is highly regarded and widely recognized allover. Aussie offers diverse courses, which covers 12 years of primary and secondary education. There is a huge selection of study courses obtainable in Australian education, which includes standard academic programs along with the practical and vocational courses.
Australia’s Higher Education
Vocational Education & Training (VET): Vocational Education & Training courses are offered by private institutions and TAFE (Technical and Further Education) colleges. Depending on the field of study, the duration of these courses will be around one or two years. The courses offered are Diploma Courses, Advanced Diploma Courses and Associate Degree courses. These courses are of a wide range and are recognised all over. These courses cover a wide range of subject areas, which includes management, hospitality, tourism, aviation maintenance etc. These courses provide practical skills and training for number of career opportunities.
English Language Studies: Australia provides reputable and quality English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students (ELICOS). The National English Language Teaching Accreditation Scheme (NEAS) functions to take care of the higher standard of Australia’s ELICOS programs. A variety of programs exists which includes General English, English for Special Purposes and Exam Preparation. Several universities and TAFE institutions currently have ELICOS centers attached with their campus.
Foundation Studies: Foundation programs assist international students acquire admission to undergrad study in Australian universities because so many universities devote a provisional place in an undergraduate course for a student who accomplishes the prescribed grades. These types of courses are usually of one year duration.
Undergraduate Degree: In Australia Undergraduate study has duration of three years. After completion of undergraduate degree students are awarded a Bachelor’s Degree.Bachelor Degree (Honours) may be completed as an optional, additional year of study following the three-year degree; or it may be awarded for academic achievement in degrees of four or more years.
Australian universities also offer Undergraduate diplomas and Associate Diplomas.For admission to undergraduate study, students needs to complete an Australian Secondary School Certificate of Education (Year 12), the overseas equivalent, or a diploma or advanced diploma from the Vocational Education and Training (VET) sector. Some undergraduate courses specify ‘pre-requisite subjects’, which implies that students must have passed that particular subject as part of their entry qualification. Courses like fashion designing or Fine arts may require the students to submit their portfolios.
Postgraduate courses can be categorized in the following:
Graduate Certificate / Graduate Diploma courses are generally designed for specific vocational purposes. They may either broaden the skills already pursued in the undergraduate level or teach skills in an entirely new professional area. The duration of study is normally six months of full-time study for the Graduate Certificate and twelve months of full-time study for the Graduate Diploma.
Masters Degree is of two years after a Bachelors Degree, or one year of study after a Bachelor Honours Degree. The Masters Degree course may be offered as :
- Coursework consists of coursework, project work and research in varying combinations.
- Research consists of at least two-thirds research with a substantial thesis.
Professional Masters which may consist of a work-based project.
Admission to such courses requires a relevant qualification and professional experience.
Most Australian universities accept the Indian graduation system of three years for entry into postgraduate courses. However, some courses and universities may require a qualification equivalent to Australian Bachelor (Honours) Degree, which requires 16 years of formal education, which would mean another year after graduation or a four-year degree course like B.E., B.Tech or other equivalent courses.
Doctoral Degree courses are usually offered in two formats :
- Research Doctorate which mainly consists of supervised research.
- Professional Doctorate which consists of varying combination of coursework and research.
Entry to doctoral degrees program requires a research or part-research Masters Degree or a Bachelor Honours Degree.
Top Universities in Australia
* Australian Catholic University, Australia
* Australian National University, Australia
* Central Queensland University, Australia
* Charles Darwin University, Alice Springs NT 0871, Australia
* Charles Sturt University, New South Wales, Australia
* Curtin University of Technology, Western Australia
* Deakin University, Victoria, Australia
* Edith Cowan University, Perth, Western Australia
* Flinders University of South Australia, Adelaide, SA, Australia
* Griffith University, Queensland, Australia
* James Cook University, Queensland, Australia
* Macquarie University Macquarie University, New South Wales, Australia
* Monash University, Victoria 3800, Australia
* Murdoch University, Perth, Western Australia
* Queensland University of Technology, Brisbane, Australia
* RMIT University, Melbourne, Australia
* Southern Cross University
* Swinburne University of Technology, Hawthorn, Victoria, Australia
* The University of Newcastle, Callaghan, New South Wales, Australia
* University of Adelaide, South Australia
* University of Ballarat, Victoria, Australia
* University of Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
* University of Melbourne, Parkville, VIC., Australia
* University of New England, New South Wales, Australia
* University of New South Wales, Kensington, NSW, Australia
* University of Notre Dame, Australia
* University of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia
* University of South Australia, Adelaide, South Australia
* University of Southern Queensland, Queensland, Australia
* University of Sydney, Sydney, NSW, Australia
* University of Tasmania, Tasmania 7001, Australia
* University of Technology, Sydney, Australia
* University of the Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia
* University of Western Australia, Perth, W.A., Australia
* University of Western Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
* University of Wollongong, New South Wales, Australia
* Victoria University, Victoria, Australia
How to study Masters in Australia. What Tests must I take to be considered for graduate admission?
You are required to take the following test to be considered for admission in any of the Australian Universities.
IELTS(International English Language Testing Systems):
IELTS is the International English Language Testing System. It measures ability to communicate in English across all four language skills – listening, reading, writing and speaking , there are two different Ielts Exams which are
- Academic Mode
- General Mode
Academic- It is a must for the overseas applicants willing to do their higher studies in Australia to get their IELTS exam done in the Academic mode.
General: While Academic is exclusive to test the Overseas student’s English language proficiency, General mode is mainly based for the Immigration purposes.
What is the Visa I should get to study in Australia?
Student Visa (to check the specific category that would suite you, please log on to http://www.immi.gov.au )
Is there any specific website that I can refer to get more details?
Official Immigration website of Australian Government:
Is there any specific website that I can refer to get more details about universities?
How much is the cost of studying in Australia?
In Australia, the cost of studying includes the Tuition fee and the living expenses. The cost varies from University to University. But in general terms, for a year of university in the Australians universities, you should have a total budget (school, lodging, food, living) somewhere between AUD $20,000 and AUD$30,000.
What are the opportunities for work after the completion of my Masters in Australia?
Australia is a land of vast and imperishable opportunities. With an Australian higher education, preferably a Masters degree, the opportunities for finding a job in the Australian market is unlimited.
Not only in Australia but also in many other countries, Australian degree is valued at a very high standard. Australia encourages all kinds of trade and regardless of the degree that the candidate does, there will be a place for the candidate in the market for sure. Apart from this, there are many consultancies which would help the candidates fetch a desired job in no time.
How long may I stay on my student visa?
Normally in Australia, the duration of your visa will be based on the duration of your course. For example, if you enroll for a 2 year course the student visa may be granted for a period of more than 24 months but less than 30 months. You may also extend your visa, if you decide to extend your course. Again this would depend on the duration of the extension that you have opted for.
Will I be able to work while I am studying in Australia?
While being on a student visa, the immigration department (DIMIA) legally permits the overseas students to work for a period of 20 hours per week.
How easy is it for me to get a part time job in Australia?
There are many consultancies in Australia that will help you in finding jobs in the industry that you are after.
The most popular job search website in Australia is: www.seek.com.au
How to find any immigration help/ legal help?
How to associate myself with local Indian student community in Australia?
Most Universities have an Indian Student Association where in one can contact the students to get help in terms of airport pickup, initial accommodation at the University. Also many universities have region specific associations such as Tamil association, Punjabi association etc.
What is the application process for Australia?
The institutions in Australia are divided in Tafe, private providers & universities. Australian institutions offer programs ranging from Year 11 & 12, diplomas, bachelor degrees, Graduate & postgraduate diplomas, Masters (By coursework & Research), PHD.
Admissions are purely on the basis of a student’s academics & IELTS score. While applying for admissions one has to submit the following documents:
- Marksheets & Passing certificate of Year 10 & Year 12
- IELTS Result Copy (If not given- conditional offer letter will be issued)
- Marksheets of Bachelor’s degree
- Degree Certificate (Provisional degree certificate is acceptable, if original not received till date)
- Marksheets & Degree certificate for PG/Masters degree, if completed in India.
- Work Experience certificates (if applicable)
- Statement of purpose/ Recommendation letters (Depending on course)
- Application fees draft (Depending on the university)
What are the visa application requirements?
Australian Embassy has given very clear visa guidelines. Along with submission of forms, funds have to be shown to the embassy which cover a student (and dependants in case spouse or children are accompanying) for studies, living and travel cost.
What are the housing options available?
There are different accommodation options that can be taken by a student. Majority of students prefer living with friends in shared accommodation where they are able to share costs on rent, power, food etc. The other options available are:
- Homestay: AUD 100- AUD300 per week
- Shared Accommodation : AUD 100 – AUD 400 per week
- Campus Accommodation: AUD 100 – AUD 275 per week
How much does Australian Education cost?
The cost can be categorized on the basis of level of programs:
- Diploma Programs : AUD 8,000 – AUD 15,000 per year
- Bachelor’s Degrees: AUD 9,000 –AUD 24,000 per year
- Master’s Degrees : AUD 9,000 – AUD 25,000 per year
What are the living expenses in Australia?
On an average, an international student spends about 800 – 1000 AUD per month on accommodation, food, clothing, entertainment, transport & other costs. It is important to note that an individual’s cost may vary as per their location, course & lifestyle.
What are the advantages of studying in Australia?
The reasons are as follows:
- Degrees are globally recognized.
- Costs incurred are lower in comparison to UK, USA.
- Very friendly & co-operative people.
- Weather much suitable to Indian students.
- Post Qualification work & settlement options.
- Can work while studying.
- Universities are known for being research focused & technology driven.
Contacts Details :
Australia High Commission India
High Commission Address :
1/50 G Shantipath, Chanakyapuri
Phone : 4139 9900
Fax : 4149 4490
Website : http://www.ausgovindia.com/
Study Abroad - Australian Technical and Management College (ATMC) is a nationally recognised Educational Institute in the state of Victoria, Australia. ATMC is well established with a network of campuses in Melbourne and Geelong. ATMC in association with the Univeristy of Ballarat (UB) offers an exciting collection of Bachelor degrees, Associate degrees and Master degrees in Information Technology, and Bachelor degrees in Business and Accounting.