Arnold Schwarzenegger once said that the future is green energy, sustainability, renewable energy. Yes, we at www.way2college.com, wish to insist the importance of green energy. We wish to share our views on this to colleges and schools. The educational sector in India is huge. With green energy, educational institutions can contribute a great share to the green environment.
What is the standard of Educational Institutions?
Many colleges/schools in India have understood the importance of green energy. They know that they can enjoy great savings with such energy. But, they are not aware of the ways to meet green energy. This is why we are here to share some ideas with educational institutions.
In employing the techniques given below students can engage as it will help them in many ways. For instance, it will encourage extracurricular participation. Also, they will learn how to face a real life situation. They will also learn how to overcome the challenges.
Schools engaging children in one way or another can ensure an excellent brain development in them.
How to make Educational Institutions Greener?
Solar power plant:
Educational institutions can think about installing solar power plants. With some initial capital outlay, they can get great savings in the long run. The solar plant will start producing the energy to meet the electricity need of the institutions. This will help the institutions to bring down their energy cost.
Composting is an effective method institution can follow. Not only for waste management, it will also help with power generation. There are technologies these days that can generate heat energy from wastes. This is a form of green energy to save energy bills for colleges and schools.
Also, composting will help institutions to save trees as well. The reason is that they can use the materials from compost pit to fertilise trees. This is a natural fertilizer, thereby providing a safe fertilizer for plants. This will also save money for colleges/schools as they will not have to buy fertilizers separately.
Water harvesting is a well-known method to save water. But, educational institutions can also save electricity with water harvesting. It is possible to generate electricity from the harvested rainwater.
How to Minimise the use of Electricity?
Besides following these techniques an educational institution can take steps to reduce electricity usage. In this initiative, they can engage their students. In general, the best schools and colleges prepare students not just for bookish language. It is important to ensure an overall development.
Educational institutions can encourage the co-operation of the students in minimizing electricity. These methods will help with minimizing the use of electricity:
- In computer labs, the institution can instruct the students to shut down the systems that are not in use.
- In the case of any chargers connected to the power socket, students should remove them. They consume energy even when the switch is off.
- The institutions can instruct the students to unplug unused electronic items. For instance, in colleges and schools, there will be printers, scanners and television sets. These devices use standby power. To avoid this power consumption, it is important to remove the plugs of these devices from the power socket. This power consumption by electronics on standby is known as vampire power.
- If in some instances the vampire power cannot be avoided, schools and colleges can use a power strip. The power strip can be employed for switching off all the devices at once. The institute can instruct the students to use the power strips if they leave their lab as the last group.
- Also, the last person leaving the classroom should switch off the light.
In the case of engineering colleges, the students can be motivated to generate renewable energy. For instance, the college can entrust this responsibility to EEE students. They will gain practical knowledge. Here are some ideas on projects for students from different engineering branches:
ECE and EEE Students:
In general, colleges give project work for engineering students during their final year. The college can motivate the students to engage in innovative project works. The college can do this right from their first year. After the semester exams, colleges can give assignments for ECE and EEE students like:
- Solar power water pump studies for small-scale irrigation:
With such a project, students will start learning solar plant installation techniques. This will provide them practical knowledge about solar energy. With this knowledge gained, they should prepare a report on things they learned. This report can help him to generate power from solar panel in the following semester leave.
With the knowledge gained, students can even face the ups and downs in the green power generation. At the end of the course, they will have both theoretical and practical knowledge.
- Another project idea is design a standalone renewable power supply system. In such a project when a group of students engage, they will gain knowledge from each other. They will actually gain practical experience of whatever they learned theoretically.
Civil Engineering Students:
It is important for civil engineering students to understand a basic thing. They play a crucial role in the creation of infrastructure required for the modern life. They should apply their knowledge and experience for creating projects. Also, the projects should the meet the needs of clean environment and humans. They can play a major role in increasing energy efficiency in infrastructure. They can also bring down the associated greenhouse gas emissions. Right from the second semester holidays, here are some project ideas to follow:
- To design model settings with the use of minimal material
- To design structures that is easy to dis-assemble to permit better rate of recycling.
- To investigate already available and emerging methods to recover heat and energy.
Architecture students have better scope when it comes to developing green energy projects. In the future, their clients will ask suggestions for making their house green. So, it is the responsibility of the college to provide the best knowledge in this respect. Colleges can test the knowledge of their architecture students through project works. Some of the project ideas include:
- Effective waste management
- Preserving and reusing design resources in houses
When students engage in these projects, both students and colleges can benefit. Students will gain practical knowledge, while colleges can implement the design. Also, they can get to save water, save energy and save money in all.
The institutions might face financial challenges in installing renewable energy sources. They can get financial assistance from the Ministry of New and Renewable Energy. They can visit the website of the ministry at http://mnre.gov.in/ for further details in this regard.