There are no predefined rules for maintaining a journal. It basically depends on how often you write, the time you spend, and how well you maintain a regular diary writing schedule, only which matters according to your personal choices and circumstances. Therefore, it is important to find what suits you. Here are nine guidelines to assist you.
1. Try to write regularly for the journals. Fix a particular time that suits you well and use this time to write every day. Do not get interrupted for any reason during this period,try to avoid it as much as possible.
2. Give yourself an appealing environment for writing journals. If you require a pin drop silence in your room, discover a particular time for your writing when there is no interruption or any kind of noise. If you are quite comfortable with the environment sounds like bird chirping, mosquitoes sounds etc and try to write in a garden or someplace like that, when there is no one to disturb you.
3. Give importance to it like as it is a ritual. If you associate your diary writing habit with some another habit that gives you pleasure will surely strengthen your routine and create a suitable atmosphere of self-nurturing. While writing a journal, you can also enjoy a cup of tea or coffee or you can play some relaxing music. You can do some meditation for a moment for relaxation while writing or deep breathing or prayer.
4. be punctual with your writing routine and ask yourself: initiated such as “What are feeling at present?” or “What is going in your mind?”
5. Only write when you desire to write as you find it a comfortable place to become yourself. Don’t allow diary writing to become a compulsion or your duty. Remember not to demand more from yourself than what you can give. If you have missed a day or more, without doing diary writing and finds that life is not imperfect than go on. Write the next time when you have that opportunity.
6. Why not create a positive feedback form. As you’ll carry on to use the diary as an opportunity to be with and learn about yourself, you will find that the practice gives a momentum all its own.
7. Emphasize more on the process rather than the consequence. An importance purpose of diary writing is simply expressing and recording your thoughts and feelings. Concentrate on the process of writing – keeping the flow of words rather than worrying about the outcomes of the same. If your objective is to have some audience to read your diary, go back to it later and make some changes. Use your diary as the raw material for more polished writing.
8. Learn from your own experiences. It is always great to proof-read your entries a month or more down the road. It demonstrated your growth – a nice paddle on the back for all of us. Look for patterns or correlations. What improved, what have remained the same? Learning from you is so much gentler on the self-esteem. Use a goal to review your life from a different perspective with retrospection.
Relax, have fun, and don't forget to laugh! Diary writing is its own reward. Once you get started, your diary will become another one of your good friends – one who is always available and never presents a deafening ear. Your diary loves you for being you.