A recent report published in a leading newspaper states that tourism administration is one of the better higher studies option, when it comes to candidates with graduation in English literature. Some of the pre-requisites to shine in travel sector include:
- Good communication skills
- Good command over English
- Knowledge in other foreign languages
- Capability and readiness to work hard and
On successful completion of their degree course, students can go for their PG in tourism or tourism administration/management. An MBA in Tourism Administration and other courses like Master of Tourism Administration or Master of Tourism Management and related courses will endow them with the fundamental and higher level of skills and professional knowledge in the tourism and travel sector.
An MBA in tourism:
In India, this is a rare course as against many other countries in the world. The Centre for Tourism Studies under the School of Management of Pondicherry University offers a full-time two-year course of MBA in Tourism and some of the subjects taught in this course are:
- Resort and event management
- Hospitality management
- Tourism marketing and
- Travel operations
Eligibility and selection process:
To apply to this course with Pondicherry University, candidates must be graduates with at least 50 percent of marks. The selection of candidates will be on the basis of entrance test, PI and GD and notification for admission is generally published during the month of March/April every year.
Other institutes offering MBA in Tourism:
- The National Institute of Tourism and Hospitality Management offers MBA in Tourism and Hospitality
- University of Kashmir’s Department of Management Studies offers MBA in hotel and tourism management
- Dr. D.Y. Patil University offers MBA in Tourism and Hospitality Management
- Institute of Management of Kerala University offers MBA in Tourism
- The Kerala Institute of Tourism and Travel Studies
- The Cochin University of Science and Technology
- Indian Institute of Tourism and Travel Management
MTA and MTM Courses:
In addition to an MBA in this field, students can also take up Master of Tourism Administration or Master of Tourism Management courses for lucrative career opportunities in this field. These courses are offered by many universities all over India.
- Meritorious candidates with a PG degree in tourism administration can qualify for a Junior Research Fellowship/Lectureship examination conducted by UGC. After taking up this test, they can either choose to work as lecturers or they can also opt for Junior Research Fellowship position, which will lead to Ph. D in this field.
- Candidates with MTM/MTA or MBA in tourism can find job opportunities as marketing executives or they can also find placement in managerial positions in the travel and tourism industry. There is a wide range of employment opportunities in private sector.
- Professionally qualified hands can also begin their own venture with financial support from government financial institutions.
There are different training centers like IATA, UFTAA, and FIATA that offers air travel related diploma and certificate courses that will help candidates in finding job opportunities in the airline industry.