Not only for MBA admission, but also for recruitment of candidates for a job position, group discussion is followed as a important criterion for selection. B-Schools choose this as the selection procedure because there are chances of mass elimination at this stage and it also helps the institutions in selecting the right suitable students. So, it is good that you have scored well in your CAT and now you might be worried about group discussion and Personal Interview, mainly because you do not have that much fluency in English and your English communication skill is somewhat limited. In such a case, the information given below will be of great help:
Understanding the principles of Group Discussion:
The important point to remember is that Group Discussion, which is popularly known as GD in MBA admission process is something that is conducted with a view to test your reasoning ability, flexibility, team spirit, leadership qualities, assertiveness and particularly your communication skills. So, it is important that you should have good understanding of English. English skills are highly important and practice alone can help you prepare well for GD and PI. When your goal is to find the admission in a top B-School, here are certain things you will have to follow during the preparation process:
What should be done when preparing for GD?
- Watch as many English movies, English news and television serials as possible. When watching, have a look at the lip movement of the people appearing on the screen. Initially, you can go with subtitles, but when you start watching, regularly, you will be in a position to understand the lip movement.
- After closely watching the lip movement, you should try following them by standing in front of a mirror. Here, you should be careful about the rhythm of your speech.
- Keep a dictionary handy during the preparation process. It will help you a great extent in searching for the words that are new to you from the television programs you watch.
- Speak aloud and this will provide you the best practice to improve your English slang. When doing this do not forget to record your speech. This will help you in identifying the mistakes you make when speaking. It will also help you in getting rid of self-consciousness.
- Last, but not the least tip is that you should never lose your hope. With regular efforts and practice, you can easily do well at the Group Discussion.
What to do at GD?
As soon as you get to know the topic on which you should discuss, the best thing you can do is to comprehend it. Just take a note of the points that arise in your mind. Structure them in such a way that you can share your views in GD one after the other. More than anything else, you should have the confidence and you should not restrict yourself from talking at GD. This is because your participation will also be evaluated and whatever the mistake when you speak, just tell your views. Wishing you success in GD!!