Student visa after getting admission to a college or university in the US
  • Home
  • General
  • Student visa after getting admission to a college or university in the US

Student visa after getting admission to a college or university in the US

Student visa after getting admission to a college or university in the US

It’s a best opportunity for international students who are planning to study in the United States; they have to apply for student visa after getting admission to a college or university in the US.

Whether studying in a full degree or a short period of education, need to apply for a US student visa.

Types of non-immigrant student visas for studying in the US:

F-1 Student Visa

F-1 visa is the most common visa which is given to any international students attending a college or university in the US.

It is also available for students who will attend

  • High schools,
  • A non-vocational or seminary or specialised institution
  • Whether you wish to pursue an undergraduate degree or a Ph.D., you can receive an F-1 student visa.

Applying for F-1 student visa

Apply for an F-1 student visa as soon as you plan to study in the US

The time taken for the application review process depends on:

The type of visa for which you are applying:

Whether or not your application will be subject to additional security clearance

It is student’s responsibility to organise your transcript and diplomas, relevant test scores, and paperwork that shows your finances in order to study abroad.

List of documents you must submit to your embassy or consulate:

The Form I-20

  • The Online Non-immigrant visa application form (DS-160), which is used to process you application and is required for your interview.
  • A 5.08cm x 5.08cm colour photo of you, which is less than 6 months old.
  • A receipt from your I-901 fee

M Visa

The M visa is a category of student visa for international students who want to seek admission in non-academic or vocational study or training at an US institution.

There are 3 types of M visa:

  • M-1 visas for students engaging in vocational or non-academic studies.
  • M-2 visas for dependents of M-1 visa holders M-3 visas for ‘border commuters' as in
  • F-3 visas, but for vocational or non-academic studies
  • M-1 Student Visa

The students who are given the M-1 visa are admitted to the US for a fixed time period. This time period includes their training programme and any optional practical training.

Important Instructions:

The M-1 visa holders are not allowed to work on or off campus during the period of their stay in the US. J Visa J visa is for international exchange visitors who participate in programmes in the US that promote cultural exchange.

All applicants must meet the eligibility criteria of the programme and must be sponsored by a private sector or government programme, whether it is to obtain medical, business or other training.

There are 2 types of J visa:

  • J-1 visas for exchange students on a relevant exchange program.
  • J-2 visas for dependents of J-1 visa holders.
  • J-1 Student Visa
  • J-1 visa holders will be allowed a two-year stay in the US if they are part of a government-funded programme.
  • This requirement means J-1 visa holders will need to return to their home country for at least two years at the end of their exchange visitor programme.


Study Abroad is A good opportunity for Bright Career, To Know More Read the following:
All Important Entrance Exams for Study Abroad
Get to Know All Details about GMAT
Find the Important Details About GRE

Ask our Counsellors


0 # Aarav Older than three months
Hello sir, I have just completed my B.Arch.from Daang Can i take admission in MBA, Please tell me the procedure
Reply | Reply with quote | Quote
0 # Shruti Older than three months
Hii, yes you can take admission in MBA, but for getting good MBA college in Daang, you have to clear entrance exam i.e. CAT, MAT
Reply | Reply with quote | Quote
0 # Vivaan Older than three months
Hii, I am from Jhansi, please tell me, Is a higher education in cancer a good choice after MBBS?
Reply | Reply with quote | Quote
0 # Jagan Older than three months
Yes, it is a good choice as there is a considerable increase in the demand for oncologist in India and also abroad, But, it is important that you should choose a good institution of Jhansi or any other place for doing your PG in Oncology
Reply | Reply with quote | Quote