Symbiosis International University shortly called as SIU offers research programs leading to the award of Doctor of Philosophy in 7 different faculties functioning under the university. These 7 faculties are:
- Humanities and social sciences
- Health and biomedical sciences
- Media, communication and design
- Computer Studies
Categories of Ph. D candidates:
Students admitted to the Ph. D programme will be categorized into the following sections:
Full-time research scholars:
Candidates falling under this category will be in a position to commit themselves on full-time basis to carry out their research work on the campus. If selected as full-time research scholars, candidates will receive a scholarship to cover the expenditure related to research and also for their living expenses.
Part time research scholars:
Under this category, candidates are further brought under the following sub-categories:
- Internal part time: These candidates will be employed on a full-time basis at the university and will be allowed to pursue their Ph. D.
- External part time: Candidates falling under this category will be working for research centers approved by the university. These candidates will be working under the supervision of the Research Guides from research centers that are approved by the Symbiosis University. However, these candidates will have to register with the university and should complete the compulsory credit requirements and then can continue their research work in an approved centre. These candidates will have to make a presentation about their research work once in every six months during their research period in front of the Research Committee.
- Not only in centres approved by SIU, candidates working for other organizations on a full-time basis regardless of whether it is research organization/industry or educational institution, they can also pursue their Ph. D with SIU, but only at locations where the university has campus or off-campus centre. In this case, a ‘no objection’ certificate to this effect should be submitted by these candidates.
Eligibility to apply for the Ph. D programme:
To apply to the Ph. D programme with SIU, candidates should full-fill any of the following eligibility requirements:
- They must have completed their PG or they should have equivalent qualification in the appropriate subject in which they wish to pursue their Ph. D.
- They must have secured at least 55% of marks or equivalent CGPA in the qualifying examination from a university recognized by AIU. Reserved category candidates will get a relaxation of 5% of marks or equivalent CGPA.
- In the case of candidates with qualifying degree from a foreign university, the registration will be confirmed after determination of equivalence by the university.
- PG or equivalent in the appropriate subject with at least 5 years of experience in the area of interdisciplinary research in which admission is sought.
- Master of Philosophy with a minimum of 55% of marks or equivalent grade/CGPA.
- Fellowship members of the ICAI or ICWA or Company Secretary of India or CFA (USA) with a minimum of 55% of marks at graduation level with 5 years of experience after graduation, which is applicable only for faculties of social science, humanities, management and law of the Ph. D programme offered by SIU.
- International candidates with qualifying degree from a foreign university should have a valid IELTS score at 6.5 or Band 3 at IELA Test of Symbiosis ELTIS, which is an equivalent, test to denote English language proficiency of applicants.