If you are an MBA aspiring candidate, it is important that you will have to make your interaction effective during your Personal Interview (PI), if your dream is to find admission to one of the best B-schools. Generally, during personal interview, a candidate is judged on the basis of his/her verbal and non-verbal communications as well. Non-verbal communication is all about body language, which is highly important to take care during PI. When you are talking to an interviewer in the admission committee, everything right from your body posture to eye contact that you make will be noticed.
- Eye contact: The eye contact will show that you are a genuine person.
- Sitting straight: Your seriousness towards the course will be judged on the way in which you sit in front of the admission committee during personal interview. Here, you should remember not so slouch in the chair as it will show your dull attitude.
The reason why body language is given importance during MBA admission is that the students, who will be future leaders, are interviewed and future leaders should always be inspiring and motivational and should not have a wrong attitude isn’t? So, you should make sure that you look confident and professional at the time of your MBA Personal Interview.
Smart way to show your interest:
The smart way you can follow to show your interest towards the course and the institution is to maintain eye contact with the interviewers. You should also ensure that your gestures complement your words. These attitudes will help you in captivating the interviewers in an effective manner. Generally, Personal Interview during MBA is conducted to judge whether the applicant has the potential to become future leader and this is why you should pay close attention to your body language.
Here are some tips that will help you in succeeding in PI Session:
- The main unpardonable sin during PI is arriving late at the interview. So, avoid this sin and be well ahead of the time of interview.
- When you enter the interview room, make sure that you knock the door before getting in.
- After entering the room, greet all the interviewers with a smile and shake hands only when a hand is extended.
- As you know ‘first impression is the best impression’, so, you should dress well for the interview. Dress as a future manager and remember that your outfit should showcase your maturity and confidence. Sticking to formal attire that is neatly ironed can make you look professional.
- You should maintain your confidence level at peak right from the time of entering the interview room, until you get out. The interviewers might ask you some stressful questions to identify how you handle stress. So, you should be careful about maintaining the cold-headedness all through the interview process.
- The reason why there will be more than one interviewer during PI is that when one throws questions on you, the others will be watching your body language and the way in which you handle the questions. Never show your nervousness through biting nails or playing with the tie. Do not just talk to one person, but maintain eye contact with all the interviewers, even though one might have asked you the question.