For Master of Business Administration aspirants, group discussion is an important round to get through the process of admission. Regardless of their score in the written test, it will be difficult for the applicant to grab the attention of the admission panel without performing well at GD and PI. This round is conducted with a view to judge the credibility of the applicants with respect to quick decision making competency, leadership abilities, logical analysis and communication ability.
Measuring the group performance of a candidate is considered highly important for an MBA aspirant, as he is going to work with a team in all his future assignments and even future career as well. So, this makes it essential for the students to keep themselves ready for GD. Generally, preparation for this session should begin right from the first day of the decision of going for an MBA course from a reputed institution.
Preparing for a GD in a disciplined manner:
Here are that points that will help you in remembering what you should do during GD:
- You should first train yourself to become a good listener. Only after listening to the words of others, you should put forth your views. Also, you should never forget to appreciate others for the important points stated by them.
- You should reach the GD hall with open-mindedness. Do respect the points of others. You should always remember and recognize that different people have different views on the same topic and you should know how to respect them as well.
- Train your mind to think analytically, which may help in putting forth some analytical points, so that you can add value to your admission.
- Understand how to articulate your views in such a way that others can easily comprehend what you are trying to say.
- Keep yourself updated with the current affairs as the topic for GD will be generally focused on the latest happenings.
- To develop your thought structure, you can write essays on different topics during your GD practice sessions.
Areas to familiarize yourself:
When you are preparing for GD, it is important that you should collect as much information as possible under the following topics:
Current affairs: As mentioned earlier, you should familiarize yourself with the latest happenings in the world of business, politics, etc. Even if you are not given current affairs as the topic during GD, you can get to the GD with confidence.
Historical topics: Keeping a fair knowledge of history of India can help. When you have historical knowledge and provide correct data, you can create a good impression in front of the admission panel.
Sports, arts and literature: When you keep yourself updated about the latest happenings in these three areas, you can take control of the situation, if topics related to these areas are given. Otherwise, you can use the details you have collected for gathering references.
As the final word, nothing can make the admission panel happy, other than the efforts you make to summarize the points that you put forth during GD. This will showcase how you structure your thoughts and your analytical skills as well.