“The way you look affects your behaviour and actions towards others, and thereafter their reaction and response to you”, has been aptly said by
|What next after MBA?|
|How to prepare a CV after MBA|
|How Personality Development is Important for Successful MBA career|
“The way you look affects your behaviour and actions towards others, and thereafter their reaction and response to you”, has been aptly said by someone wrt the Image one projects when he/she meets someone known or unknown. In today’s times, when there is an ardent need to create an influencing first impression at personal/ professional/ social front, we thought it makes great sense to introduce our readers to Image Management, the next big industry in India.
What is Image Management?
In simple terms, Image Management is the art of Presentation & Packaging: creating an image that leaves a first impression with the help of visual communication which means presenting oneself in the best possible manner in terms of clothing, grooming and body language (that includes both etiquette and vocal communication). Creation of a good image is the first step in getting acknowledged and considered fit for a role. Image Management considers the fact that each individual is different, and hence works to accentuate his strengths ito style & communication, downplays weaknesses while making optimal use of resources. In short, Image Management helps in enhancing:
- Appearance and Self-Presentation
- Confidence and Capability
- Communication Skills and Credibility
- Achieving personal and professional goals
It is an amalgamation of both Personality Development and Grooming/Makeover, in the sense that it concentrates on the qualities and goals of the individual vis-a-vis the outer environment, the differing roles and occasions the person undertakes when working towards achieving the image goal.
Who needs Image Consulting
Anyone and everyone from a housewife to a corporate executive may feel the need of Image Enhancement, considering the fact that it takes more than talent/ capability in modern times to prove self worth. Following list encompasses the range of people/groups that need Image consulting from experts:
- High Networth Individuals
- Celebrities, their wives and Socialites
- College and University Students looking for success at their first interviews
- Professionals in different domains – Doctors, Lawyers, Financial Advisors and more
- People in the Public Eye – like Politicians, Corporate Communications Professionals
- Service industries like Retail, Hospitality, Airlines, Healthcare
- HR, Recruitment, Training Companies
- Consultancy Firms
- Corporate professionals at different stages of their career
- Corporations looking towards creating a corporate identity that exudes Confidence, Credibility and Integrity.
Image Consulting in India
Image Consulting is growing by leaps and bounds across the world. Owing to factors like Globalization, Competition, Changing Personal Lifestyle, and Media becoming larger than life, it is not surprising that people in India are not only following the trend, but taking it forward by either choosing this field as a career option or by taking services rendered under this.
Image Consulting as a Career
Image Consulting is a profession to project good image of an individual or a company. An image consultant will work upon one or more of the following areas, depending on the individual/ group’s requirements and profession:
1. Wardrobe and Style Quotient.
2. Body language, grooming and vocal communication.
3. Project confidence, capability, leadership
4. Maximise organization’s image
5. Cracking an Interview
6. Carry oneself with dignity and get positive recognition as a Celebrity, Socialite, etc.
To execute the above functions, Image consultants can choose among multiple career options to follow the one most suited to them. The options are many more than can be listed:
- Individual coaching to individuals and companies
- Group coaching to individuals and companies
- Corporate image consultants
- Retail image consultants
- Specific service – Marriages, Other special occasions
- Specific target market – Celebrities, Corporate Identity, Service Professionals
- Specific domain – International travel and interaction
- Sell a line of clothing or accessory
- Deliver keynote addresses
- Write columns and books
- Teach in community education classes and academic institutions
- Train image consultants
Training the Trainers:
1. Image Consulting Business Institute (ICBI) (India: Mumbai based) is a pioneering venture in Image Management in India. With Judith Rasband (who carries over 40 years of International Image Consulting Experience) designing the curriculum, and Suman Agarwal (Director) offering her skills & expertise, the Institute provides a comprehensive range of professional programs with a blend of national and international image elements. They have Memberships of International Institutes like: The Image Consultants’ Society, Federation of Image Professionals, and Association of Image Consultants. ICBI offers the following valuable Programs:
- Image Consulting Partner Program: offers a great business opportunity to enterprising people who can become Image Consultants and run their independent image consulting business, offering image management solutions to individuals and corporations.
- International Program: is particularly relevant in today’s flat world where corporate executives and individuals travel constantly across the globe.
- Diploma in Image Management: offers industry-based learning to create image professionals and teaches them the specific requirements of customer service-oriented departments and companies.
- Advanced Diploma in Image Management: is for ambitious professionals who aim to emerge as leaders within the Image Management industry, bringing extended reach and recognition to the professional.
2. Conselle Institute of Image Management (Utah based): Conselle is engaged in the development of innovative educational concepts, strategies, systems, materials, seminars, workshops, short courses, special events programs, individual services, and private consulting, all relating to the physical, social, psychological, and aesthetic aspects of personal appearance and self-presentation in all walks of life. Conselle is also a full-service image consulting firm, the most comprehensive image management company in the field working with business, industry, university, government, church, and civic organizations. For each client, they research and customize the program or service to deliver extraordinary results that meet and exceed expectations.
The Services/Programs that they offer are:
- Custom Fit/Alteration
Getting to Work
So, a course in image management opens doors for you in setups that are both glamorous and highly paying. Some of these options are:
- Corporate/Business – Soft Skills Training (Independent/Freelance)
- Training Departments (as part of organizations)
- Personal Image Consulting
- PR Companies
- Hospitality Industry
- Luxury Lifestyle
- Beauty & Cosmetics
- Fashion Consulting, Styling, Media, Blogging, etc