Importance of Project Organization structure:
It is important to have a well-defined Project organization structure to facilitate successful execution of a Project. Let us consider a generic Project organization structure. A Project usually has a hierarchical team structure. The Project sponsor is generally from the senior management and provides the budget and resources required for the execution of the Project.
The Project manager is the head of the team for the Project and reports to the Project sponsor. The Project manager has a set of team leaders, who in turn have team members. The team members would be working on the tasks as assigned by the respective team leaders.
While defining the Project organisation structure, the Project manager needs to consider the following tasks.
- Requirements of the Project
- Personal needs and aspirations of the team members
- People development needs
- Skills, background, and experience of the team members
Focusing Areas of the Project Manager
The Project manager focuses on the following areas
- Achieving success in the Project considering parameters, such as schedule, cost, quality,
- customer satisfaction, and so on.
- Overall planning for the Project
- Defining the estimates and schedules for the Project
- Taking the needed corrective actions to deliver according to the Project requirements
- Managing scope changes in the Project
- Ensuring management of internal and external stakeholders by means of effective
- Issue management: Identifying, tracking, resolving and managing Project issues
- Managing the entire work plan and resources
- Ensuring that the solution is acceptable to everyone
- Defining and collecting appropriate metrics for the Project
- Reporting on the status/progress of the Project to the various stakeholders
- Contributing to improvement in the Project lifecycle .
- practices, and so on
Any Project without a clear definition of roles and responsibilities has the potential to get into trouble.
It is important that the members of a Project team are clear regarding what is expected from them.
Because, this clearness enables timely completion of work, within budget, and meeting the adequate level of quality.
The RACI matrix is used to indicate the roles and responsibilities within a Project so that any confusion in this regard could be avoided. It is used to delegate tasks, activities, and so on, within a Project so that the team members have clarity on their extent of participation.
Each member in the Project team has a definite role assigned according to the RACI matrix. Thus, the multiple parties are involved.
RACI matrix is a formal mechanism to establish the role for each stakeholder/participant when A RACI matrix is also known as Linear Responsibility Chart (LRC) or Responsibility Assignment Matrix (RAM). The term „RACI‟ denotes Responsible, Accountable, Consulted, Informed.
A Program is a group of related Projects managed in a coordinated manner. A Program manager leads
a team of Project managers/Project leaders who are responsible for the individual Projects within the
In Portfolio management, the focus is at a more aggregate level. Portfolio management of Projects
helps in determining the right mix of Projects and the right level of investment to be made in each of
them for the achievement of organizational objectives.
Portfolio management of Projects helps in determining the right mix of Projects and the right level of investment to be made in each of them for the