A common dilemma faced by young graduate professionals is whether they should opt out of job to pursue higher education degree or enroll themselves in a distance learning program
A common dilemma faced by young graduate professionals is whether they should opt out of job to pursue higher education degree or enroll themselves in a distance learning program along with their jobs. Out of all higher degree programs, MBA (Masters in Business Administration) is the most lucrative one. MBA opens up far lot of avenues for graduates of all streams be it Commerce, Science or Arts. There are lot of job opportunities with good pay packages in Indian market for graduates so many of the students prefer to pick jobs just after graduation. But sooner or later, they all feel the need to upgrade themselves for switching to better job or may be to be eligible for promotion to next level. This is the reason why most of the premier institutes have started offering and promoting higher degree programs in distance learning mode. However one should fully research the scope of program he is enrolling to before joining. He should check the credentials of institute offering the course and confirms if the course is recognized or not. One also needs to consider the various pros and cons of such programs and decide on their suitability for oneself.
Advantages of doing distance learning MBA:-
- Candidate can determine his own place, pace and time of study.
- It increases the employability of the candidate.
- It allows you to increase your knowledge base alongside your regular earnings.
- It increases the eligibility of the candidate for higher positions.
- Distance learning programs are usually available at low cost as compared to regular ones. It is thus very useful for candidates who cannot opt for full time MBA programs due to high fee structures. One saves on commuting expenditure too.
- These programs give you lot of flexibility in terms of time. Most of the times, a three years program can be completed in a tenure of five years.
- One can get international degrees without obtaining visas.
Disadvantages of doing distance learning MBA:-
- A student has to cope up with home and work distractions to complete assignments, projects and evaluations.
- A student definitely miss out on ‘learning from peers’ in such programs.
- Candidate must be able to adapt himself to new technologies easily as distance learning courses these days involves learning through web chats, video conferencing, virtual seminars, audio and video lectures, online assignments and tests etc.
- Self-motivation is required to complete such courses. Anyone who does not have self-study temperament should never opt for such programs.
- All specializations of MBA cannot be taught through distance learning mode.
There are many universities and Institutes in India offering distance learning MBAs. Some of them are:-
- Symbiosis International University
- Institute of management and Technology
- Sikkim Manipal University
- Maharishi Dayanand University
- ICFAI University
- Amity University
- Lovely Professional University
- Bharati Vidyapeeth Deemed University
- Indian Institute of Finance