To get admission to the top B-schools it is important that every applicant should get through the Group Discussion round. Not only for MBA course, Group Discussion is something that forms an important part in most of the selection processes inclusive of job selection.
What is evaluated during group discussion?
Generally, group discussion is conducted with a view to evaluate the following skills of the applicants:
- Managerial abilities
- Boldness and flexibility
- Ability to take initiative
- Team working ability
- Communication and leadership skills
- Independent thinking ability and
- Reasoning skills
Generally, these skills are important for future managers and this is why B-schools judge these skills by following Group Discussion as a mandatory segment during the admission process of MBA programme.
Team playing is important in the corporate world:
Most of the MBA graduates either become business owners themselves or they work for corporate firms, wherein they are appointed as team leaders. It is not possible for an individual to bring success to a project to which he is appointed all alone. This is where, team work becomes important and all the members of the team should work together for achievement of the project goal or organizational goal. In the present corporate world, a good team player can be the winner. The group discussion session during MBA admission, will help the admission committee to find whether a candidate will be in a position to generate results in a team. His intelligent quotient and leadership skills are also evaluated. Here are some tips that will help candidates in succeeding in group discussion:
- Art of participation: The first and foremost thing that should be done by candidates is to excel in the art of participation. The important point to remember is that no one could force a person to speak and it is the individual, who should take the initiative to play an active role during group discussion sessions to share his/her views with others. However, the important point to remember here is that shouting at a group discussion assembly during an MBA admission session is completely awkward and so each and every candidate should learn how to put forth his/her points in a polite, yet strong manner by not considering the group discussion session as a battle ground.
- Taking initiative is important: During group discussion, it is essential that the candidate should have the ability to initiate and he should not wait for others to start the topic. When given the chance to choose the topic, it is important that the candidates should choose a topic that they can handle without any difficulty.
- A true leader: Being an MBA aspirant, it is important that the candidate should act as a true leader to showcase his/her leadership skills to the admission committee. He/she should possess the skill to guide the other members in the discussion, if they have confusion in some points.
Apart from the above-mentioned tips, it is important that the aspirants should not show a rigid attitude and should dress well for group discussion session.