If you have just completed or going to complete your class XII in Science stream, you might be thinking, whether to follow your friends to choose engineering or whether to choose some other course. This is the right time to think about career after 12th. If you do not want to choose engineering or medicine, you need not have to despair. There are different options available these days for science students starting from microbiology to journalism. Over the past few years with emerging avenues in the industry, there are also industry specific courses available for class xii science completed students. These industry-oriented courses are aimed at equipping students with thorough understanding of industry-specific requirements to prepare them for a bright future.
Many universities in the country offers three-year B. Sc courses in disciplines like anthropology, geology, pest control and agro chemicals, environmental science, microbiology, bioinformatics, biotechnology and industrial chemistry. Merit-based admissions are offered to these courses. Even, entrance examinations are conducted by some colleges with the limited seat availability. After completion of these courses, one can immediately secure a job as the content of these courses are highly specific to the industry. Here are the industries you can choose, as you are thinking about career after 12th science:
Information technology industry:
Most of us think that only engineering graduates can enter this industry. But, this is just a misconception as many science graduates are working for this industry. With a UG degree in computer science or computer applications, followed by a PG in MCA with good academic records from a good institution, you can expect getting absorbed immediately in the information technology sector.
Not just software, you can also choose for hardware jobs in chip design and computer design. There are also ITES jobs in call centers, animation and multimedia, etc.
With the development of aviation sector, there is an increasing demand for technical and ground staff, radio operators, aircraft maintenance staff and commercial pilots. If you wish to choose this sector for career after 12th, you can pursue a degree/diploma in aircraft maintenance from institutes that are affiliated to DGCA of Indian government.
Institutes for aviation courses:
- School of Aviation Science and Technology offers three-year course on aircraft maintenance and radio technology. Admission to this course is offered through entrance test.
- The Indian Institute of Science in Jamshedpur and also the Rajiv Gandhi Memorial College of Aeronautics at Jaipur also offers three-year course in Aircraft maintenance for which admission is done through entrance test.
If you are an individual with interest towards serving the nation, you can choose merchant navy after your higher secondary, which is one of the best gradation options for science students. This is a well paying option and the great and attractive thing about this option is that this can be the ideal choice for students, who wish to travel a lot. However, this option is meant for boys alone and not girls. Here is the list of courses suitable for positions in Merchant Navy:
- The University of Mumbai offers a three year course in B. Sc Nautical Science.
- Similar course is offered by the Academy of Maritime Education and Training that operates from Chennai.
- National Institute of Port Management in Chennai also offers such a course.
- BITS, Pilani also offers a four year course in B. Sc Marine Engineering.
Real estate and construction sector:
This is a sector that always has demand in the present growing and improving economy. The growth of this sector ensures that many candidates like draftsmen, interior designers, town planners and architects get ample opportunities in this market. Five-year course in Bachelor of Architecture (B. Arch) is offered by many institutions in India and here are the top to mention:
- National Institute of Design in Ahmedabad
- School of Planning and Architecture, Delhi
- Sir J J College of Architecture in Mumbai
There are also branches of Indian Training Institute or ITI in each and every state in India that offers degree and diploma courses in interior designing to equip the students with the required skills. These short-term courses also offer students with both theoretical and practical knowledge.
Para medical field:
As you do not want to get into medicine directly, you need not have to take MBBS as there are other options available in para medical field when it comes to gradation options for science students. Paramedical staff are support staff, who work closely with medical professionals and help them in performance of their duties in an effective manner. Some of the professionals falling under paramedical professionals are optometricians, lab technicians, speech therapists, occupational therapists, nursing staff and physiotherapists. Here are the course options available:
- A four-and-half B. Sc course in nursing is offered by the following institutions:
- College of Nursing, AFMC, Pune
- Christian Medical College, Chennai
- Nizam’s Institute of Medical Sciences, Hyderabad
- Jamia Hamdard Delhi
- A four-and-half-year course either in physical or occupational therapy from Pandit Deen Dayal Upadhyaya Institute of Physically Handicapped, Delhi.
- A four-and-half-year course in Physiotherapy, occupational therapy and Bachelor of Prosthetics and Orthotics from Ali Yavur National Institute for the Hearing Handicapped, Mumbai and the National Institute of Rehabilitation Training and Research in Cuttack.
Nowadays, the need for healthy living has increased the demand dieticians and nutritionists. So, courses on these areas available as B. Sc courses will be helpful for science graduates.
Fashion industry is yet another booming industry for candidates looking for career in science. If you think that this industry is all about designers, you are not right. Here, there are technical staff involved in accessory design, leather and footwear technologists.
The other fields coming under gradation options for science students include media and defence. So, you need not have to stick to engineering and medicine anymore with your science and mathematics knowledge at higher secondary level.