State Bank of India has issued notification calling for applications from eligible candidates for the SBI PO or Probationary Officer Position. The total number of vacancies for the position is 2200 and let us gathers some details this notification:
Any candidate interested in applying to the SBI PO Position will have to register with SBI Online to take part in the recruitment process. The examination for the same will be held in two phases, preliminary and main. Candidates qualifying in the preliminary examination will only be allowed to take part in the main examination. Candidates shortlisted from main examination will be called for further rounds, which will have Personal Interview and Group Discussion, Education loan is also available from SBI.
Important dates to remember:
- Candidates will have to apply online and they can also make modifications if any from the 4th of May 2016 to 24th of May 2016.
- The appropriate application fee and intimation charges should be paid between the same dates mentioned above.
- Downloading of call letter for online preliminary examination – from 14th of June 2016.
- Dates of online preliminary examination – 2nd, 3rd, 9th and 10th July 2016.
- Results of preliminary examination – 18th of July 2016.
- Downloading call letter for online main examination – From 21st of July 2016
- Date of main online examination – 31st of July 2016
- Date of main examination result – 16th of August 2016
- Downloading of call letter for interview – 22nd August 2016
- Date of GD and interview – 1st of September 2016
- Declaration of final list of selected candidates – 30th September 2016.
Candidates from SC/ST/Religious minority community are eligible for pre-examination training, for which they will have to download call letters and this can be done from the 13th of June 2016 for the training to be conducted between 20th and 25th of June 2016.
Candidates are also recommended to keep regularly checking the official website of the bank at www.sbi.co.in for updates.
Candidates, who wish to apply to the SBI PO position, should meet the following educational requirement as on the 31st of August 2016:
They must have obtained their graduation in any discipline from a recognized university or they must have an equivalent qualification as approved by the central government. Candidates in the final year of their degree course can also apply. But, if they are called for interview, they will have to submit the proof of passing the examination before the 31st of August 2016. Applicants with Integrated Dual Degree certification should make sure that the date of passing the same should be before 31st of August or on this date. CAs can also apply for the position. Here are certain conditions to be noted down under eligibility requirement:
- The date of passing will be the date that appears on the provisional certificate or mark sheet of the applicant that is issued by the institution or university. If, the result is posted on the website of the institution, the date of posting will be taken as the date of result.
- When applying, candidates are recommended to specify the percentage obtained in the graduation with calculation to the nearest two decimals in the online application. In case of candidates with CGPA/OGPA, they are recommended to convert the same to the nearest percentage.
- Percentage calculation: The percentage of marks will be arrived at by dividing the total marks in all subjects in all years/semesters, by average of maximum marks in all subjects irrespective of whether they additional/optional or honors papers. In case of candidates with 59.99%, it will be considered as 60% and in the case of those with 54.99%, they will be considered as scored less than 55%.
Applicants should not be less than 21 years of age and also they should not be more than 30 year of age as on the 01st of April 2016. This means that they must have born not later than 01st April 1995 and not earlier than 02nd April 1986 with both days included. Appropriate age relaxation of 5 years is applicable for SC/ST applicants, 3 years for OBC, 15 years of SC/ST PWD candidates, 13 years for OBC PWD candidates and 10 years for general PWD candidates. Relaxation applicable for Ex-service men is 5 years and also the same number of years is applicable as relaxation for people domiciled in J&K during the period of 1st Jan 1980 to 31st December 1989.
After applying for PO position through SBI online, the applicants will be called to take up the preliminary examination, in case they meet the eligibility requirements completely. The pattern of this test is as follows:
Pattern of preliminary test:
This is an objective type test that will be conducted for 100 marks over the web. The duration of test will be an hour and there will be three sections in the test as follows:
- English language – 30 questions and 30 marks
- Quantitative Aptitude – 35 questions and 35 marks
- Reasoning ability - 35 questions and 35 marks
The test takers will have to qualify in each of these three sections by getting pass marks that will be decided by the bank. Adequate number of candidates under each category will be shortlisted for main examination. This number will be decided by the bank, which will be approximately 20 times the number of vacancies based on the availability.
Second phase is main examination:
Those qualifying in the first phase called preliminary examination will be shortlisted to appear for main examination, which will have objective test for 200 marks and descriptive test for 50 marks. In the case of descriptive test, the test takers should give answers by typing them on the computer. Immediately after completion of objective test, descriptive test will follow and here is the pattern:
Objective test pattern:
This test will be conducted for three hours duration and there will be four sections in the test, which will be conducted for a total of 200 marks. There will be separate timing for each section and the test takers will have to qualify in each of these sections by securing pass marks, which will be decided by the bank. Here is the pattern:
I Reasoning & Computer Aptitude – 45 questions and maximum 60 marks
II Data Analysis & Interpretation - 35 questions and maximum 60 marks
III General Economy/Banking Awareness – 40 questions and maximum 60 marks
IV English Language - 35 questions and maximum 40 marks
In total, the number of questions will be 155 and the total marks for objective type test is 200. The duration for I above is 60 minutes, II is 45 minutes, III is 35 minutes and IV section is 40 minutes.
Pattern of descriptive test:
This test will be conducted for duration of 30 minutes with 50 marks will be for judging the English language letter writing and essay skills of test takers. Only the descriptive papers of those who qualify in the objective test with passing marks will be evaluated.
Penalty for wrong answers:
State Bank of India has notified that there will be penalty for wrong answers in the case of objective tests. Accordingly, 1/4th of mark will be deducted for every wrong answer and if a candidate has not attempted any question, there will not be any negative mark for those questions.
Third phase of selection process:
Only shortlisted candidates will be called for the third phase of selection process, which will have group discussion and interview for 20 and 30 marks respectively. The collective marks of candidates clearing both objective and descriptive test will be arranged in inclining order in every category of applicants. Adequate number of candidates in each category as per the decision of the bank will be shortlisted for the third phase of selection process.
The marks obtained by the candidates in the preliminary examination will not be added for the final selection and only the marks obtained in the main examination, both descriptive and objective will be added to the marks obtained in interview and GD for preparation of final list of selected candidates. Also, it is compulsory that candidates will have to qualify both in phase II and III separately. The total marks for written test is 250 and the marks secured out of 250 will be converted to 75 and the total marks for GD and interview is 50 and the marks secured for this 50 will be converted into 25 for preparing final merit list of candidates. List of candidates shortlisted for GD and interview and also the list of finally selected candidates will be published in SBI online website and the final list of selected candidates will also be published in the employment newspaper.
Application fee and intimation charges:
General category candidates will have to pay Rs.600, which includes both intimation charges and application fee, while reserved category candidates will have to pay intimation charges of Rs.100 alone and application fee is not applicable to them. These charges are non-refundable under any circumstances.
For more details about this notification, candidates can visit the official website of SBI at www.sbi.co.in.