OPEN MAT is an All India entrance test conducted every year by IGNOU (Indira Gandhi National Open University) for admission
OPEN MAT is an All India entrance test conducted every year by IGNOU (Indira Gandhi National Open University) for admission into its various management programs. This entrance test is conducted twice every year mostly in month of February and August. The candidates, who qualify the entrance examination, are eligible to take admission into Management Programs. On the basis of OPENMAT scores, candidates are called for personal interview and group discussion. Based on the performance in interview and discussion, a final list of selected candidates is made. Various degree/diploma programmes for which this test is mandatory are:-
- Master in Business Administration (MBA),
- Diploma in Management (DIM),
- PG Diploma in Management (PGDIM),
- PG Diploma in Human Resource Management (PGDHRM),
- PG Diploma in Financial Management (PGDFM),
- PG Diploma in Operations Management (PGDOM) and
- PG Diploma in Marketing Management (PGDMM).
OPENMAT is a pre-requisite condition to seek admission in various management programs offered by Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU). To be eligible for OPENMAT, one should possess any one of the following educational qualifications.
- The candidates should have a Bachelor's Degree in any field from a recognized institution with minimum 50% aggregate marks. Exemption of 5% is there for candidates belonging to reserved category.
- The candidate should be a graduate with at least 3 years of supervisory / managerial / professional experience.
- The candidates with a Professional Degree in Engineering / Technology / Medicine / Architecture / Law / Pharmacy are also eligible.
- The candidates should have Professional Qualifications in Accountancy / Cost and Works Accountancy / Company Secretary Ship.
- The candidates, who have a Master's degree in any subject from a recognized institution, can also apply.
- There is no age bar for any of the courses.
Foreign students, who are residing in India, are eligible to seek admission in the programs provided they possess valid student visa for the minimum duration of the program.
Validity of OPENMAT Score 2015
Candidates who have qualified for admission on the basis of the score obtained in the Entrance Test ( IGNOU OPENMAT ) will be eligible to take admission into Management Programs in any of the following two semesters.
For example, a student who qualifies for admission in August 2014 OPENMAT test, may take admission in any of the following two semesters i.e. either in January 2015 or July 2015 semester.
Similarly one who qualifies in February 2015 OPENMAT may take admission in July 2015 or January 2016 semester.
There is no particular syllabus prescribed by IGNOU for this test. However this test consists of four different sections:-
- General Awareness
- English Language
- Quantitative Aptitude
Preparation of OPENMAT
General Awareness section- A candidate who reads newspapers, magazines, and current affair books can easily clear this section.
English Language section- The candidates can practice Reading Comprehension, including both passages and Poems, synonyms, anonyms, dictionary meanings of different words, and correct grammar usage and their rules.
Quantitative Aptitude section- The candidates need to study basics of Arithmetic, Algebra, Trigonometry, Geometry, and Statistic.
Reasoning section- The candidates can practice questions related to coding & decoding, data Interpretation, strong arguments and weak arguments etc.
The OPENMAT is a single level examination which is of 3 hours duration. The exam paper consists of 200 questions in total. There is no negative marking
The question paper is divided in 4 sections namely.
No. of Questions
- Every correct answer: 1 mark
- Negative marking: NIL
- Exam in test booklet format with 200 multiple choice questions and a specifically designed OMR response sheet.
- In case they find that none of the four alternatives is correct, they have to mark 'O'
Note: The cut-off mark for OPOENMAT is decided by IGNOU. However, the minimum marks required to get admission to the management programmes offered by IGNOU, the student has to score at least 60% - 70%.
How to Apply
Candidates can download the application forms from the website or can obtained from the Registrar (SRD), IGNOU, Maidan Garhi, New Delhi and from all the Regional centres of IGNOU.
IGNOU OPENMAT Entrance Exam Contact details
School of Management Studies,
Indira Gandhi National Open University,
New Delhi – 110 068,
Website : http://www.ignou.ac.in/