In the last two decades distance education in India has evolved as a great alternative for the people who were not contented with the conventional education system. It has proved to be a boon especially for the teachers and students section who were facing complexities regarding time and distance earlier.Overall distance education is a process of imparting education through insubstantial and virtual means by using technology and other measures for providing learning to a new generation
Distance education in India came into the picture because of the requirements of young professionals and to the segments which are not economically stronger. Now individuals want to learn but with enhancement in their practical skills simultaneously. So here developed the need for distance learning, so that young professionals can build up their knowledge while working at their regular jobs. Also, there are certain sections of our society which are not that financially capable of attending regular classroom courses. Hence in this scenario distance programs are worthy. Distance learning in diploma is very popular for graduate and undergraduate students.
Modes and Procedure:
There are certain types of distance education programs offered which can be categorized as below:
These programs are as effective and similar to actual courses in a university just with a difference of no regular substantial sessions. The degree obtained by such medium hold as much as significance to the actual one. The material and sessions are provided through virtual means.
Many institutes in India are providing digital learning to students. Unlike correspondence programs, online methods are not session regular bounded courses. Institutes or educationist independently can develop a website with a view of providing easy and accessible education to the students who are in need as these are too cost-effective.
These are especially for basic and prior educational purposes. The main reason for their existence is to develop the understanding among individuals regarding fundamental education which they are deprived of.
Universities and Courses Offered:
Among the most prestigious distance learning universities in India, Annamalai University Distance Education and University of Madras Distance Education stands in top ten. These institutes endow the best distance education in India. Below there is a list of other prime universities of India offering distance learning:
Top Institutions for Distance Education in India:
Here is the list of top distance education universities in India:
- 01. Indira Gandhi National Open University, New Delhi
- 02. Sikkim Manipal University, Gangtok-Sikkim
- 03. Symbiosis Centre for Distance Learning, Pune
- 04. University of Mumbai (IDOL), Mumbai
- 05. The ICFAI University Sikkim, Gangtok
- 06. Maharishi Dayanand University (Directorate of Distance Education), Rohtak
- 07. Maulana Azad National Urdu University (DDE), Hyderabad
- 08. University of Delhi (SOL), New Delhi
- 09. Annamalai University (DDE), Annamalainagar
- 10. Bharathidasan University, Amity University, UP
- 11. MP Bhoj (Open) University, Bhopal
- 12. Dr. BR Ambedkar Open University (BRAOU), Hyderabad
- 13. Netaji Subhas Open University, Kolkata
- 14. Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Open University, Ahmedabad
- 15. Karnataka State Open University, Mysore
- 16. Acharya Nagarjuna University (CDE), Guntur
- 17. Osmania University (PGRRCDE), Hyderabad
- 18. Alagappa University (DDE), Karaikudi
- 19. Shivaji University (CDE), Kolhapur
- 20. The ICFAI University Tripura, West Tripura
- 21. SNDT - Women's University (CDE), Mumbai
- 22. Himachal Pradesh University (ICDEOL), Shimla
- 23. Tamil Nadu Open University, Chennai
- 24. University of Madras (IDE), Chennai
- 25. Andhra University (SDE), Vishakhapatnam
- 26. Madurai Kamaraj University (DDE), Madurai
- 27. Vardhman Mahaveer Open University, Kota
- 28. UP Rajarshi Tandon Open University, Allahabad
- 29. Uttarakhand Open University, Haldwani
- 30. Nalanda Open University, Patna
- 31. Kurukshetra University (DDE), Kurukshetra
- 32. University of Calicut (SDE), Kozhikode
- 33. Patna University (DDE), Patna
- 34. Kakatiya University (SDLCE), Warangal
- 35. Yashwantrao C. Maharashtra Open University, Nashik
arning is that it is far efficient in terms of cost and is suitable for economy classes. Usually, if a person is pursuing any regular course then he or she is not able to being an expert in any skill or say work in an organization, but distance education has overcome this constraint and has provided ample opportunities to the learners to widen their skill-set while expanding their education profile.
The expansion of distance education in India has led to the formation of a very diverse culture in learning and imparting it. Surely it is going to impact the tradition of regular teaching, but it is all about changing our mental models and increasing our capabilities to work with more challenging ideas. Currently, India is the largest student body in the world, and it is very clear that how challenging and bright future distance education have in our country.
Popular Courses in Distance Education In India: