Voted amongst one of the most developed and safest environments in the world, New Zealand has emerged as a hot destination for students from all across the globe. New Zealand Degrees command respect and regard internationally. World class standards, competitive cost and a cosmopolitan culture make New Zealand an ideal study destination for Indian students. Most other countries do not allow overseas students for jobs but in New Zealand they can work part-time for 15 hours a week provided they enroll for full-time courses that are of 12-month duration. After completion of their studies, students are further encouraged to stay behind and work.
Admission Requirements for Study in New Zealand, New Zealand Universities, Eligibility Criteria, Application Process, Procedure for Study in New Zealand-
Following is the eligibility criteria for study in New Zealand for mba, engineering, bachelors, masters and phd programs for getting admission into New Zealand universities:
Completion of the Certificate in English for Tertiary Study – The certificate duration is approximately one to three months full time and costs vary. It is best for students to contact their chosen institution to see whether they accept the certificate before enrolling on the course. Also note that there is an English language requirement for admittance onto the certificate course. If the level of proficiency is not met, students can enrol on the General English, English for Academic Purposes 1 (EAP1) or English for Academic Purposes 2 (EAP2) to improve their skills. The costs and duration of these courses vary.
Students are recommended to contact their desired institution to see whether they offer the Certificate in English for Tertiary Study, EAP1 and EAP2 and if they can be completed on campus. Application forms can normally be downloaded from the institution website. Some institutions refer to English language courses as bridging courses.
• Completion of IELTS (International English Language Testing System) or TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language). The IELTS and TOEFL scores required by each institution will vary.
After either of these tests successfully taken, the student has to apply to the university or institute directly or through their agent with the required documents i.e. past credits, degrees or certificates.
What is the application process for NZ?
Admissions are granted purely on students academics. Students need to provide: CV, academic documents, any professional certifications, work experience if applicable, English language evidence, reference letters, SOP & Passport copy.
What are the visa application requirements?
Student visa is issued to a full time enrolled student with good character, health & financial background. Student visa for New Zealand is much easier & quicker than many other countries.
What are the Housing options available?
- On Campus: College hostel’s (self catered or fully catered)
- Off Campus: Rent a Flat/ Apartment, Private Hostels, lodge or Motels
- Home stay: with families as per students preference
How much does NZ education cost?
Tuition Fees Approx. 12000 NZ$ – 28000 NZ$ p.a; depending on the area and level of studies.
What are the living expenses?
On an average, an international student spends about 800 – 1000 NZ$ per month on accommodation, food, clothing, entertainment, transport & other costs. It is important to note that individual’s cost may vary as per their location, course & lifestyle.
What are the advantages of study in NZ?
- Globally recognized quality education
- Affordable Tuition & Living, NZ$ rate in INR is much lower than AUD & other dollars.
- Friendly environment & an English speaking country.
- New Zealand is a growing economy offering increasing job opportunities.
- Low unemployment ratio compared to most countries.
- Quick Applications & visa processing.
- 20 Hours part time work allowed during studies & full time during summer holidays helping students to cover living cost.
- Students on completion of most courses including 1 year Diploma course are eligible for 1 year job search visa when they can work full time
- Students with full time job offers in relevant area of study may extend their visa by converting it to Work Permit / Permanent Residency depending on their eligibility
- Student partners can accompany on Work Permit or Visitors category.
Can I work whilst am studying?
All international students are allowed to work part time upto 20 hours per week & full time during summer holidays. NZ follows minimum wage system; current minimum wage for an employee is 12 NZ$ per hour.
What are the options available after completing my studies in NZ?
Students finishing courses of Level 5 or higher level are eligible for 1 year job search visa when they can work full time & look for a job in relevant area of study. Once student get offered full time job offer in relevant area of study they can apply for PR or Work Permit depending on their eligibility. Long term skilled shortage list of popular field in demand with good job prospects can be viewed on immigration website www.immigration.govt.nz
Can my spouse accompany me during my studies in NZ?
Spouse of students going for PG course or courses in Long term skilled shortage area can get Full time work permit. Spouse of students going to UG courses if willing, to accompany their partners can apply for a visitor visa.
Are Scholarships available?
Most international students study in New Zealand on a full fee payment basis. New Zealand doctoral research scholarships are a significant educational opportunity as here international student only pays domestic fees & many times also support students with Living & travel allowance. Other Government scholarships could be found on www.newzealandeducated.comjcomments on