Types of Student Visa To Study In US

Types of Student Visa To Study In US

If you are an Indian student or a student from any other nation interested in doing your higher studies in the United States, it is important that you will have to apply for student visa after getting admission to a university or college in the United States. You will have to apply for a student visa regardless of whether you take up a short-term or long-term course in the United States. Here are the details about the kinds of student visas for studying in the United States:

F-1 Student Visa:

This is the most known visa, which is for international students to study in the United States. You will have to apply to this visa, as soon as you plan to study in the United States:

Time taken for application review: Generally, the time will rely on the type of visa you have applied for and whether or not your application is subject to extra security clearance. It becomes your responsibility to submit appropriate paperwork as proof of your finances to study abroad. You should also be careful about organizing your certifications and appropriate test scores as well.

Documents to be submitted: For F-1 Student Visa, you will have to submit the following documents to the US Embassy in your country:

  • The form I-20
  • The online non-migrant visa application form called as DS-160, which is used for processing your application and for your interview
  • A six month less than old photograph of size 5.08cm x 5.08cm.
  • A receipt from your I-901 fee

M Visa:

This visa is for students, who wish to seek admission to a non-academic or vocational training course at an US institution. This is of 3 types M-1 is meant for students, M-2 visas are for their dependents, while M-3 visa is for ‘border commuters’.

Conditions: Students with M-1 Visa are admitted to the US institutions only for a fixed time period. This time period includes their training programme and any other optional practical training. These students are not permitted to work off campus during their stay in the United States.

J Visa:

This is meant for international exchange visitors, who take part in programmes in the United States, just for promotion of cultural exchange. Eligibility criteria must be met by all programmes and must be sponsored by a private or government programme. This rule should be followed regardless of whether it is for obtaining business, medical or other sort of training.

Type of J Visa: This visa is of 2 types. J-1 is for exchange of students on a relevant exchange program, while J-2 is another type meant for dependents of J-1 Visa holders.

Conditions for students:

  • Students holding J-1 visa will be permitted for a two-year stay in the United States, if they are a part of a programme that is funded by the Government.
  • Students holding this visa will have to return to their home nation for a minimum of 2 years at the end of their exchange visitor programme.

Ask our Counsellors


# Jayesh 2017-04-02
Hii, I am from Rewa, I want to do M.Ed, but I have not B.Ed, is it possible?
Reply | Reply with quote | Quote
# Pallavi 2017-04-03
No NCTE approved M.Ed colleges/universities in Rewa or any other place admit the students only after B.Ed
Reply | Reply with quote | Quote
# Priyansh 2017-02-28
Hello, I am from Kawar plz tell me admission to B. Ed to IGNOU is made through entrance test?
Reply | Reply with quote | Quote
# Mukesh 2017-03-01
hii, good to know that you are from Kawar, Yes, Admission to B. Ed in IGNOU is made through B. Ed Entrance Test, which is generally conducted during the month of October/September each year.
Reply | Reply with quote | Quote

Newsletter Subscription

way2college logo