St. Johns College, Agra, was established in 1850 by the Church Missionary Society of England through the efforts of the Agra C. M. S. Association which came into being in 1840. The first Principal of the College The Rev. Thomas Valpy French, a distinguished fellow of University College, Oxford, was a man of great vision and missionary zeal. At its inception the college formulated its own curriculum and conducted its own examination. The college got affiliated to Calcutta University in 1860 and from 1891 to Allahabad University. In 1927 with the formation of the Agra University, the then Principal of the College Dr. A. W. Davies became its first Vice-Chancellor and the College was affiliated to the Agra University.