Hooghly Women’s College is a glorious milestone in the history of education of women not only in Hooghly district but also in the state of West Bengal. It is the sixth academic institution in the district and is the first women’sSri. Kalipada Mitra, Founder Principal(1949-1951) college of the district and also is the largest Women’s College of Burdwan University. What matters, of course, not the age, but the role it has played in awakening the women of the district and beyond, through the dissemination of education. The initial effort to found a women’s college in Hooghly was made in 1943. Some local educationists and social reformists made an active endeavor to set up Hooghly Women’s College to cater education for women. Sri Nripendranath Dhar, a renowned advocate and educationist was the pioneer in this field. Other figures, inspired by the some missionary zeal joined them. Hooghly Women’s College thus started pulsating in thee little concrete structure named “Mission House” with only 17 students in Chuchura Maidan in the banks of River Ganga in a day in the year 1943. Unfortunately if came to an abrupt halt as university recognition did not come in time. But the lamp was already lighted and the last flicker of the dyeing lamp continued to glow. This initial endeavor, though not endowed with immediate success, should be remembered with awe and reverence by everyone related to the institution. Hooghly Women’s College with 60 years of dedicated service in the field of women education is successfully rewarded in its resolve and internal strength to remain the beacon of light grounded in the mission of providing the connection between learning and living.