Initially, the 20 R. B. Street building was a two-storied house where Manindra Nandy was born on 29th May, 1860 and his wedding took place when he was fifteen. He was married to Maharani Kasiswari of Khirgram, Burdwan, when the bride was seven. In 1897, after getting succession of Cossimbazar Estate, Maharaja Manindra Chandra left Kolkata. The building was first used as a Students' Home, then turned into an Ayurvedic Vidyalaya and ultimately from 1941, it turned into Manindra Chandra College.
Within few years of its establishment, from 1st October, 1947, a morning section of the college was opened to meet the expectations of girl students, aspiring for higher education — but unable to join day classes. In 1964, according to the direction of U.G.C., Manindra Chandra College was split up into three independent Units — Morning, Day & Evening — with separate affiliation and administration. The Morning Section — meant exclusively for Girl students, started functioning from 2nd December, 1964 and was named as Maharani Kasiswari College, to perpetuate the memory of the Late Maharani. It was thus that Maharani Kasiswari College started its journey with the aim of advancement of female education and career building.
Maharani Kasiswari College, Kolkata
20. Ramkanta Bose Street, Kolkata - 700003, Kolkata, West Bengal