Medical College Hospital at Arpookara started functionning on 14.04.1970 with a humble begining. [ Later the Medical College campus and surrounding locality were named as 'GANDHINAGAR' from 1974 ]. Construction of ABC and EFG blocks of MCH were completed during 1969 & 1970 respectively.
As an initial step, General Medicine & Surgery Departments were shifted from Dist. Hospital, Kottayam to Arpookara leaving the other departments continue to function at Dist. Hospital to Medical College Hospital Gandhinagar from 1970 to 1975.The bed strength was 837.
Gradually, the main hospital has grown up and at present the bed strength is 1471 with 25 clinical departments including all speciality and super speciality with all diagnostic and therapeutic facilities.
The Department / Speciality breakup is as follows:
1. General Medicine
3. TB & Chest Diseases
5. Dermatology & Venereology
9. Infectious diseases
10. Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
11. General Surgery
17. Plastic Surgery
18. Cardiothoracic Surgery
19. Oral & Maxillofacial [Dental]
20. Obst.& Gynaecology
21. Radio diagnosis
25. Family Welfare