St. Stephens College was founded on 1 February 1881, St.Stephens is the oldest college in Delhi. It was first affiliatedto Calcutta University, and later to Punjab University. Finallywith the establishment of Delhi University in 1922, St. StephensCollege became one of its three original constituent colleges. St.Stephens College began with just five student and threeteachers in a small house in Katra Khushal Rai, near Kinari Bazarin Chandni Chowk. From 1891 to 1941St. Stephens College was housedin the building now hosted by Delhi College of Engineering, nearSt. James Church inside Kashmere Gate. In 1941 it shifted to itspresent site in the university Enclave. The present buildings ofSt. Stephens College, with the exception of a few later additions,were designed by the distinguished architect Walter George. St. Stephens College was established by a Christian mission fromWestcott House, Cambridge. The Rev. Samuel Scott Allnutt was itsFounder and first Principal. The anniversary of his death isobserved as Founders Day on 7 December every year. St. Stephens College has an all-India and all-denominationmembership; it has students and teachers from all communities andfrom all parts of India. There are also some teachers and studentsfrom abroad.