ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA FOR IES/ESE 2018
The eligibility requirements to be met by candidates to apply for the preliminary stage of the ESE 2018 is classified under four broad categories and they are nationality, age requirements, educational qualification and physical standards.
- To apply for ESE, a candidate must be either a citizen of India or a subject of Nepal or a subject of Bhutan or a Refugee from Tibet, who came to India before the 1st of January 1962 with the intention of permanent settlement in India.
- Even, applicants can be individuals of Indian origin, who has migrated from Sri Lanka, Burma, Pakistan or other East African Countries of Ethiopia, Zaire, Malawi, Zambia, Tanzania or from Vietnam with the purpose of permanent settlement in India.
- However, candidates other than Indian citizens should obtain a certificate of eligibility from the Government of India.
2. Age requirements:
- The applicants must have reached the age of 21 years and should not have reached 30 years on the 1st of January 2018. This means that the applicant must have been born not earlier than the 2nd of January 1987 and not later than the 1st of January 1996.
- The upper age limit is 35 years in the case of government servants employed in the office or department under the control of certain bodies.
- The details of bodies can be obtained from the official notification. For more details regarding upper age relaxation, candidates can visit the official notification page from the website of UPSC.
3. Minimum educational qualification:
- To apply for ESE, candidates must have completed their degree in engineering from a university incorporated through an Act of the central or state legislature in India.
- Even, candidates with engineering from deemed universities are eligible to apply. Those, who have completed their section A and B of the Institution of Engineers in India are also eligible.
- Candidates, who have obtained their diploma or degree in engineering from such foreign institution or university or college under conditions recognized by the Government are eligible.
- Candidates, who have passed their Graduate Membership Examination of the institute of Electronics and Telecommunication Engineers are also eligible. Those, who have passed Associate Membership Examination Parts II and III or Sections A and B of Aeronautical Society of India are eligible.
4. Medical qualification:
- Candidates finally selected for positions in Indian Engineering Service will have to undergo medical examination to confirm their selection.
- The medical examination will be conducted in Indian Railway Hospitals. The report given by the hospital authorities will be considered final with respect to physical fitness of the selected candidates.
Candidates will also have to fulfill the physical fitness standard as specified in the Appendix – II of the official notification for IES 2018.