EXAM PATTERN, SYLLABUS OF IELTS 2017
There are four sections in this test:
- Total Test of IELTS Exam takes 2 hours 45 minutes.
- The first three sections - Listening, Reading and Writing - must be completed in one day.
- The Speaking Module can be taken, at the discretion of the test centre, in the period seven days before or after the other Modules.
IELTS Test Format:
Listening and Speaking are the same for both Academic and General Test, but the subject matter of the Reading and writing components differs.
- The test duration is of total 30 minutes.
- The test involves listening to four recordings of native English speakers and then writing answers to a series of questions related to the recording.
- Recording 1: a conversation between two people set in an everyday social context.
- Recording 2: a monologue set in an everyday context.
- Recording 3: a conversation based on educational or training context between people not more then 4.
- Recording 4: a monologue based on an academic subject.
- The test checks ones’ ability to understand main ideas and detailed factual information and the opinions and attitudes of speakers.
- The test duration is of total 11 to 14 minutes.
- It consists of 3 parts:
- Part 1: the examiner asks certain general questions to the candidate like about his/her work, family, interest, hobbies, etc. The test lasts for about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Part 2: the candidate will have to speak on a particular topic for 2 minutes. The topic will be given just a minute ago. The examiner will ask certain questions related to the topic.
- Part 3: the examiner will ask certain more detailed questions about the topic given to you in part 2.
- This test assesses ones’ use of spoken English every day.
- The test is recorded.
The test lasts for 60 minutes.
- Two tasks.
- Task 1: It involves Interpreting, describing, or comparing data presented in graphic form (a diagram, bar chart, line graph, pie chart or table). Word limit is 150 words.
- Task 2: It consists of writing an essay on a topic related to academics in a formal style. Minimum 250 words.
General: Two tasks.
- Task 1: It involves writing a letter in response to a situation in a formal or semi-formal or informal style. Word limit is 150 words.
- Task 2: It consists of writing a more personal essay in an informal style. Minimum 250 words.
- The marks are given on the basis of content, quality and technical approach.
- The test lasts for 60 minutes.
- Consists of 40 questions.
- It consists of three long texts which can be either descriptive or factual or analytical.
- The passages are taken from either magazine or newspaper or any book or journals.
It includes extracts from books, magazines, newspapers, advertisements, company handbooks, guidelines or notices.